SC - Pumpkins and such...

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:18:33 PDT 2000

>I asked:
> > << what is the "long huge squash with a small bulbous end and a
> >  very fat long neck
>
>and Etian kindly replied:
> > a butternut squash
>
>really?  and that turns out more orange than a "pumpkin"?  interesting!

I use a butternut squash to make my pumpkin pie.  The flesh is less fibrous,
so it's easier to get a smooth puree and they are sweeter and more
flavorful. I think pumpkin is rather bland.

I have to admit these opinions on texture/taste were formed soon after
moving from home.  At home, mom made pumpkin puree from the remains of our
huge ol' jack o'lantern.  Frugal but maybe not the best choice.  Since then,
small pumpkins have appeared in the grocery that are id'ed as 'pie
pumpkins', perhaps these produce as nice a pie as the butternut.

Bonne