SC - Columbia history of food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 18:41:39 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/27/00 6:23:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> "Le Menagier de Paris
> recommends preparing camelina sauce..."
>
> So I looked up Cameline, and it is in fact "A genus of cruciferous plants;
> spec. the ‘Gold of pleasure’ (Camelina sativa)" and the OED has a 1578
> reference for that usage; As well as "a dainty Italian sauce." The
> question is, is the author just completely confused, or is there a
> possibility that when cameline, rather than cameline sauce, is mentioned,
> the item is being served with 'Camelina sativa'?

I know of no recipe that is called Cameline Sauce within the medieval corpus
(or, for that matter, within the Early Modern period covered by the SCA) that
uses this plant as an ingredient or mentions the use of the sauce as an
adjunct to the prepared plant of the same name. Cameline Sauces are simply a
spice sauce that is used over meat.

>From this, I would venture to say that the author did not do his homework in
the area as carefully as he might have.

My .02....

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol