SC - Non-member submission - Japanese Cooking Sources

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sat Oct 28 19:31:10 PDT 2000

I have held of responding to your message so that I could get home and check my
sources.  However, it turns out that another has given you the best one I could
offer.  I do know that there is a history of Japanese food in the works (has
been for two years now).  I've been working with Devra from Poison Pen Press for
over a year trying to get a copy of it, but it's still not available.

So.  At this point, I have not been able to find much of anything regarding
period Japanese food.  I understand that there are some manuscripts available,
but they have not been translated into English...and I don't read or write in
Japanese (though, truthfully, if they are period, they probably use the Chinese
kanji as the Japanese characters came into use in relatively modern times).

The best I can suggest is to use the book already recommended.  I can tell you
that sushi is not period (as we think of it today).  There is a kind of
scattered sushi (chirazushi) that I am told by some folks from Japan are
period.  I know that Tempura was invented for the Portuguese, so is in period
(but very hard to do for large groups).  Sorry Ras and Cariadoc, I can't provide
documentation for any of this...it comes mostly from information in various
Japanese cook books and history books.

Hope this helps.

Kiri