SC - German feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 29 20:59:54 PST 2000

Leanna said:
>  and I've been told we plan for 96 reservations with
> additional meals for royalty, servers and musicians for a total of 116 to
> 132 meals altogether. Tables are based on 8 per table. I have already
> enlisted the help of an experienced co-cook, and have a head server. My
> menu thoughts so far are:

That seems to be a large number variance to plan for especially since
they are not paid feasters. The 16 delta is over 10 percent of the
amount you
are cooking for.

> 1. Have pickled vegetables, bread and soft cheese with herbs on the table.
> 	I have period recipes from the list for pickled mushrooms, and my own
> pickling recipes for other vegetables.  I would like documented pickling
> recipes to try, I haven't checked Stefen's file - yet. I'll make or
> delegate the bread, but I'd like at least a white, a wheat, and a rye. I'll
> mix cream cheese with a little cream and minced fresh herbs, either singly
> or blended. I'd like to plan 1/2 lb. of two types of cheese spread for each
> table. Breads to be refreshed throughout the meal.

It sounds like you may already be aware of the particular file, but just
in case you aren't it is in the FOOD section:
pickled-food-msg (118K)  5/23/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

The cooks at the feast at our baronial event this last weekend served
an herbed cream cheese, that was quite good, in small, disposable tubs
about two or three inches across. A neat idea as they didn't have to
come collect the dishes later and they were available through out the
meal. I had intended to grab the leftovers of this and bring it home,
but I got a little distracted.

> 3.  Second serving: Bratwurst & Kraut with baked buttered carrots.  I want
> to make a couple of the mustards I've seen on the list, one fairly spicy,
> the other more tame.  Perhaps make one 6 to 8 weeks ahead, the other 2 or
> 3?

I wouldn't depend on the aging to create two different mustard "heats". I
would make them up both as far ahead as you can and store them but use
different recipes for each. Since you've been on the list only a few
period recipes have been discussed. There have been many, many more
discussed. Most of these can be found in these files in the CONDIMENTS
section of my Florilegium:
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daneil le Vascon du Navarre
mustard-msg       (83K)  7/11/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.

There also was a message recently that claimed using yellow or brown
mustard seeds, even in the same recipe, would result in two different
heats of the mustard.

> 4.  Third serving: Vision of Sauerbrauten with sauce and buttered noodles,
> need to research a bit, and would change to roast beef with some period
> sauce.  Also need a veggie to go with.  3 oz cooked meat, 1/2 cup sauce and
> 1/2 cup vegetable. 1 cup cooked noodles per serving.

Ok, what is "Saurbrauten"? Is there reason to believe it is period?

What time of the year/season are you planning your feast to be from
(not necessarily when you are cooking your feast)? This might
impact whether you would be using preserved vegetables such as
pickled ones or fresh ones. From my reading it looks like they were
so tired of preserved vegetables that when fresh ones were available
they would not serve both at the same meal.

> 5. Dessert:  Apple pie or apple strudel with cream or whipped cream
> topping. 1/8th of a 9 inch pie.

In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruits-msg       (206K)  8/ 4/00    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (42K)  1/10/00    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-pies-msg    (32K)  9/ 1/00    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.

In FOOD:
pastries-msg     (105K)  4/ 3/00    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
   (I can't remember if there are any fruit filled pastries like strudel
in there or not, though)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net