SC - Flavored cheese

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Sun Oct 29 21:27:36 PST 2000

I was glancing through the "Obra de Agricultura" (Spanish
agricultural manual, 1513), and I came across the chapter on
cheese.  Herrera says that when making cheese, you can add
flavors and spices to the milk, so that the cheese will have that
flavor.  He specifically mentions ground pennyroyal, or caraway,
and adds that there are many who put in ground-up tender pine
nuts, but this is only if you are going to eat the cheese fresh.

Sheep dung mixed with vinegar will remove blemishes from the
body; mixed with oil and wax, it will cure burns.  (Just in case you
were wondering.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann