SC - Bad Feasts--Philosophically Speaking

Mon Oct 30 05:16:32 PST 2000

Themes, time periods, etc. should be determined before requesting bids.  The
cook must know whether the job is within their capabilities.

My latest feast, this was negotiated by asking the Baroness, "what do you
want?"   "Elizabethan."   I then went on to make a partial menu and a more
detailed analysis of the feast for the bid.  For various reasons, the event
planning was delayed and I got the bid in fairly late in the game, while I
was still chasing recipes (not something I recommend for inexperienced cooks
or autocrats).

In my case, the bid is usually detailed, so that everyone knows what I am
planning and can gather some idea about how I intend to proceed.  Once the
bid is accepted, I have command of the feast and the feast hall and
structure the entire performance to the requirements established before the
bid.

Do I listen to what others have to say?  Yes.  I don't have a monopoly on
good ideas.  Do I work with the autocrats?  Yes.  A good autocrat is a
facilitator and the easiest way to keep them aware of what is happening with
the feast is to use members of their staff in the planning and execution of
the various aspects of the feast.

Bear