SC - > So long as we are making assumptions on what the poorest folk

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Oct 30 09:06:51 PST 2000

> Did the peasants buy spices in large quantities?
> Doubtful.  Did they purchase a precious pinch of
> pepper from time to time?  Perhaps.  Why is there so
> much more literature and documentation regarding the
> nobility than the peasantry?  The answer may be as
> simple as "the peasants were boring".  Why write about
> the peasantry, when there is so much gossip and
> scandal going on in the noble houses?

Comment: the practical reason why we have less info on what peasants
bought compared to other classes is simply that a good deal of what we
know about what people bought and owned is from inventories, account
books, and legal documents that have survived.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker