SC - IronChef competition - long

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Wed Oct 18 09:21:24 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Debra Hense" <DHense at ifmc.org>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 10:51 AM
Subject: SC - IronChef competition - long

> ·There will be two sets of points, each containing a maximum of 20 points.
>   Similar to artistic and technical merits in skating, diving, gymnastics.
>
> · Points are combined for total score to determine winner.  In case of
ties -
>   they must compete in another Iron Chef within the next year (or two
years
>   if none are held within the next year). Also, they don't have to compete
>   head-to-head, they can compete in different competitions - we will just
>   use their final score from the competition to determine the winner. Or,
we
>   allow them to each create another dish out of the stuff not used by the
teams.

> Participant Points - everyone starts with the max points to be awarded.
> The points are their's to lose.
>
> Finishing on Time - 5 Points.
>      Points taken away - 1 point for every 15 minutes past finish time.
> Showing up to compete - 5 Points
>      Points taken away - 1 point for every member missing.
> Cooking/creating the specified number of dishes - 5 Points
>      Points taken away - 1 point for each missing dish.
> Can point to specific period recipe for each dish - 5 Points
>      Points taken away - 1 point for each dish made not using a period
recipe
.
Why would you want to have a competition with points to lose.  I would think
getting the requisite dishes out with less members should be complimented
not penalized.  (Too many cooks spoil broth) Penalize for not getting the
dishes needed out with or without the requisite cooks. Under this system 3
of 4 cooks show up to compete so the team would get 4 points. They get 5
points for finishing on time. 5 points for the dishes and all were period
recipes so 5 points.

So they get 19 points for participating. Even though they finished the
required project 15 minutes ahead of time. (maybe a bonus for finishing
early?)

I guess I just don't like competitions were the goal is to not lose points,
I much rather the goal would be to earn the most points.

Thorbjorn

- ---