SC - Malaches (FoC 159)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Tue Oct 31 02:11:40 PST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> Well, I´m currently writing such a book but for various reasons not making
> quite as good progress as I had planned upon. Still, it should be available
> in a year or so. Meanwhile, feel free to ask for any recipe that interests
> you.

Will do. And I am looking forward to the book.

> This is my family recipe - my mother got it from her grandmother, who was
> born in 1870. Rye was traditional at least from the 18th century onwards
> (often mixed with chopped Iceland moss) but earlier, barley was probably the
> most common grain.

What proportion flour/lichen would you suggest? How finely chopped? You
mention below that you can use it soaked, is this in addition or is it
supposed to be soaked regardless? Is it just chopped and dried, or
should it be prepared in any other way? Generally when I cook lichens I
either soak them in an alkaline solution (followed by rinsing!) or cook
for a long time (over night).

> To the basic recipe, you can add chopped soaked Iceland moss, or some
> raisins (there are even modern recipes which substitute all the fat with
> raisins), or some spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.

I can get all of those. Might not have allspice at home, but the others
I am, for some strange reason, quite certain that I have.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well.
		-- Lazarus Long (R.A. Heinlein)