SC - French knife

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 31 04:55:21 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Fine steel wool should do it. Obviously you need to be careful where
> you'r near the blade's edge. I have a stainless-steel sink in the
> kitchen, and what I normally do is plonk the blades of my carbon-steel
> knives flat against the side of the sink, and scrub lightly with steel
> wool. Then flip it over and repeat. The object is to get it smooth, not
> necessarily mirror-finish silver-color we normally associate with
> stainless steel, which, of course, it is not.

Okay, if I'm gonna be a completist, I should be a completist.

Dry your knives with a soft kitchen towel. Even the skewed pH of tap
water is enough to blacken the blades if they're left damp for a while.
Not that blackening is necessarily an intrinsic problem, but the
blackness can come off at inopportune times, such as when you're slicing
hard-boiled eggs or onions or something. If they're good and dry, and
stored properly (one of those wooden block gizmos is good because they
have both drainage and air circulation) you shouldn't have to resort to
extraordinary measures like oiling the blades.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com