SC - > So long as we are making assumptions . . . . . . .

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Oct 31 08:30:59 PST 2000

> > Nope. In fact, to add something to your argument: grains of paradise were
> > supposedly 4 pence a pound. However, I'm still puzzled by whether they
> > could have been cheap before the time of Henry the navigator and the
> > opening of the sea route fromWest Africa.
> >
> And in the quantities normally bought by individuals which are considerably
> less than a pound, they would have been well within the reach of most folks
> except the poorest of the poor. Your point?

That we have evidence from Britain that sugests Nicollo's comments about
grains of paradise being a spice probably used by the 'peasants' can also
be extrapolated, at least as a tentative hypothesis, to Britain.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker