Fwd: Re: SC - Planning a German Feast

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:09:34 PST 2000

>problem with the concept of a dessert course in that I
>have yet to see a period menu that contained a true
>dessert course.  But if there is one, I hope that
>someone will tell me where to find it.  From what I
>have researched, the concept of a dessert is not
>really
>period.  While they did have sweet dishes, they were
>always part of the regular course and not segregated.
>The closest to a "dessert" that I can think of is
>the spectacle dish or the subletie, but these usually
>were served between the courses.

What I have done is conceive of each 'course' as a mini-meal in the modern
sense.  Each course has at least one meat dish, at least one vegetable dish,
and a fruit dish or custard dish or baked good that isn't sweet by modern
standards but still can leave the impression of dessert for those looking
for it.

Bonne