SC - > So long as we are making assumptions . . . . . . .

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 19:04:36 PST 2000

- --part1_ca.c25cecc.2730e244_boundary

In a message dated 10/30/00 11:12:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> but given the percentage of likely savings and/or disposable income for a
> laborer,
> what would you guess the likelihood was that grains of paradise were a
> regular part of the diet of, say, the lower middle class, whatever that
> is...
>
> Adamantius

I would venture a guess (and it is only a guess with nothing to support the
supposition) that the lower middle class would have used spices in the
quantity that the lower middle class uses spices now, Such quantities are
more like a third of an ounce and in cases where vegetation is the form of
the spice such as bay leaves the weight in normal amounts purchased at the
store is considerably less.

Given the actual purchasing power of money during the middle ages, which is
not very much different from the purchasing power of the current middle ages,
I would say that the use of, say, grains of paradise by the lower middle
classes would parallel the use of cloves, cinnamon or nutmeg by the lower
middle class in the current middle ages at holiday time and at special
occasions throughout the year.

Just my opinion.....

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_ca.c25cecc.2730e244_boundary