OOP: Asian Resources (was Re: SC - Barley malt syrup?)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 31 20:48:14 PST 2000

Bonne said (of Barley Malt Syrup)
> My husband buys this at Asian markets and uses it as the sweetening for
> making Asian BBQ style sauces.   I think it is also in his 'm00-shu'
turkey
> recipe.  (It's our traditional day after Thanksgiving dish. I'd post it,
but
> he's not here. _

ooo!  thanks!  I'll try that.  I've bought barley malt syrup as an
alternative sweetner just for general use (trying to move away from
processed sugars) but I appreciate knowing where it will also compliment
specific dishes.

please *do* post your husband's recipe when he gets home and you have time.

which leads me to a general question for the list.

My next project is to start experimenting with Asian cooking.   We're
trying to eat out less and our three big failings are Italian, Mexican and
Chinese... I can now do pretty much anything we could get at an Italian or
Mexican restaurant, so I've only got Chinese now to master and have
absolutely no experience with it beyond canned La-Choy and frozen stir
fry... which are no where near the quality that I'd like to produce.

So, since I gleaned from the discussion about Asian feasts that there are
several people on this list experienced with Asian cooking, what resources
(i.e., books and/or instructional video tapes if available) would you
recommend for learning Asian cooking, especially any methods which are
particular to Asian cooking.  I'm specifically interested in Cantonese and
learning to make lo mein noodles.

I would also be interested in any resources in English or any pointers
towards research on period Asian cooking, of course. :-)

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier