SC - Cucumbers: Recipe & Question

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Oct 4 11:42:19 PDT 2000

Rosalyn MacGregor wrote:

> Good Gentles of the List,
>
> My grandmother, raised as a very prim and proper upper crust Canadian lady
> before the Depression, used to make a cucumber dish that I would like to
> duplicate. It's a rich cucumber and sour cream dish. It might be cream, I'm
> not sure. I'm recalling memories of eating this dish years ago. The
> cucumbers sit in a white sauce that is very tasty. <grin> To me, it evokes
> images of  summer, like a blt with a freshly picked tomato does.

Yes, cukes are period. I don't know about sour cream, but cukes in a
yogurt sauce in a variety of ways are a mainstay of Middle Eastern
cooking. My recipes has the yogurt mixed with garlic, olive oil, and
mint, poured over diced cucumbers. (especially good during hot weather)

My Grandma who was born in Missouruh (gotta say it right) seved cucumber
slices dressed with apple cider vingegar. Mom did it too- I don't know
how old I was when I discovered you could eat cikes plain...

'Lainie