SC - Date sugar

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Oct 4 18:16:33 PDT 2000

What you have there is crystalized ground up dates.  It has a distinctive
taste all its own, and will not dissolve well, but it is nice in baked
goods and cooked cereals.  On an interesting side note, in reading about
the Glycemic Index diet, date sugar has an odd distinction.  The G.I.
measures carbohydrates based on the rate at which they are metabolized
into the blood stream.  Pure glucose was used as the base sugar, it being
given a value of 100 on the scale.  Carbs with low numbers (whole grains,
berries, hard northern fruits - apples, pears, cherries) are absorbed
very slowly, while high numbers (tropical fruits, refined flours, baked
potatoes) are absorbed quickly.  Anything with a value above 55 is
considered high on the list.  Dates are one of the few things that exceed
pure glucose, rating on the scale at 115!  Agave nectar, on the other
hand, is one of the lowest sugars on the scale (indeed, one of the lowest
carbs overall) coming in at a miniscule 11.
Things that make you say, hmmm...
Christianna

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:05:38 -0500 Wajdi <wajdi at home.com> writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I was asked to post the following message here, and let ya'll
> respond.  This sounds kind of interesting.
>
> wajdi

===