SC - <<<<<<<<>>> Philip & Susan Troy<troy at asan.com> 10/5/00 7:05:40 AM >>>

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Oct 5 08:52:49 PDT 2000

<<<<<<<<>>> Philip & Susan Troy<troy at asan.com> 10/5/00 7:05:40 AM >>>
Salt would be there, most likely, to make gluten strands extensible, for
a lighter bread. I don't think it has much direct beneficial effect on
the yeast itself, although I suppose anything's possible. I wonder if
it's possible that using salted butter or margarine is assumed. For that
matter, I wonder why this Mexican bread recipe isn't using lard anyway.
Ah well, mine is not the reason why, mine is to eat the stuff and say

Truly yum.  The salt also serves to inhibit the yeast activity.  The salinity slows the activity of the little beasties so they do not rage out of control, allowing for a controlled rise that doesn't blow out the protein strands.  Combined with the benefit on gluten strands, it would make the bread retain the gases more readily.

niccolo difrancesco