SC - Cucumbers: Recipe & Question

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 10:29:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/5/00 8:00:27 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu writes:

> My grandmother makes this too. You basically slice cucumbers (I like them
> thin), add sour cream and thin it with milk to the consistency you wish.
> Season with salt, pepper, dill, and a touch of sugar.  Sometimes she added
> celery seed.  We got this just about every time we visited, especially in
> the summer.
>
> No idea if it is period, but I doubt it.  :-(
>
> --Yana

They serve something similiar in Iran today, after meals, to help with the
digestian. I was told while there that it is an Armenian dish, and older than
Moses in use. They used goats milk, curdled slightly to the consistency of
yogurt, and the celery was not the seed but the pulped up celery, with slices
of cukes floating. Sometimes they changed the dish to be sweetier by useing
mint leaves ground into the dish. Salt and Pepper were provided for your own
taste. They also served this dish without the cucumbers, as a side dish, with
onions grated into the yogurt and salt and pepper added to it. This, I
remember, they called Maast. Much more savory taste.

Could your grandmother have come from a strongly Armenian background, or
neighborhood, as a child? If so, you might be able to find a similiar dish in
an ethnic cookbook of same. And that might also be a good place to start the
search for tracking down something similiar from period.

Lars