SC - Chicken soup challenge

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Oct 5 17:51:49 PDT 2000

My favorite chicken soup recipe, hummm. I love chicken soup and make
several varieties.  I buy chicken hindquarters in 10 pound bags, usually
one bag per month. When I get it home, I remove the backs and place them
and any broken legs or extra pieces in a stockpot with water to cover.
Bring to a simmer over a medium fire.  Move the pot to one side, and the
scum will all move to the other side.  Skim.  After skimming, center the
pot over the flame and cover.  Turn fire to low and simmer until the
chicken is cooked and the broth is reduced.  Remove the chicken and toss.
Put the stock in the refrigerator overnight.  The next day, skim the fat
and discard (or put to another use).  At this point, I usually divide up
the stock into 2 or 3 freezer containers and freeze for future use.

For the soup:  bring 2 cups chicken broth to a simmer over medium-low heat.
 Add 1/2 of a small onion, chopped and one clove garlic, minced.  Add a
couple stalks of chopped celery if you like.  Peel and small dice 1 large
potato, and add to the pan. Add 1/4 tsp paprika.  Continue to simmer until
the potato is cooked.  Add a can of creamed corn and warm through.  Add
salt and pepper to taste.  Place soup in bowl, top with a spoonful of sour
cream and a sprinkle of chopped chives and/or more paprika. OOPs, almost
forgot, I usually add 1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine after the potato is cooked.

When I really feel bad, I just nuke the broth, add salt and eat with dry
toast. Leanna