SC - dayboard (Ruzzige cake; Buch von guter Speise #52)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 5 19:26:27 PDT 2000

Richard Kappler wrote:

> I was kinda hoping Thomas would get the chance to jump in on this one before
> I got back to the kitchen (herself has me slaving away in the gardens...damn
> but semi-retired life is tough! ;-). One of the things about this recipe
> that jumped right out at me was the word 'blat.'  As some of you know I have
> been working for some time on the marzipan recipe from His Grace's website
> (some time...hell, I've been at it off and on for nearly two years now!) and
> during this work at one point I brought up 'oblat' to this list which of
> course led to a long discussion (doesn't everything around here?) eventually
> determining that oblat was wafer, which was where we started.  Thomas, is
> there a significant difference in either time period or geography between
> Guter Spise and ... can't remember the name of the other book, but the one
> with the Marzipan recipe you've been helping me with?  What I'm wondering is
> would 'blat' in Guter Spise possibly be some dialectic variant of 'oblat?'

I doubt it, although this isn't a point I'm confident arguing. It's my
understanding that oblat/oubley come from Greek roots referring to
sacrificial offerings, while blat in German is pretty widely agreed to
refer to a leaf, as in a blade of grass, and by extension meaning a thin
sheet. This is why I thought of the English medieval phrase about making
a thin foil of dough, which seems odd to us today, but foil can refer to
a leaf also, as well as thin layers in general.

Adamantius tGaP
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com