SC - Making Comfits

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:57:42 PDT 2000

I have not made the seed comfits that folks are talking about.  I dare say I
must now give it a try.  I do, however, make the citris peel comfits
regularly.  It is one of the things I teach young folks and newbies to the
kitchen.  A tin of these makes a great gift at holidays too.
You must make sure to get as much of the white pith off as possible
otherwise they can be bitter.  Generally I peel the fruits with a sharp
peeler.  Cut or tear the peels into the size you like, boil in sugar syrup
for 15-30 minutes making sure not to burn (you may have to add extra water)
until the peels are translucent.  Pluck them out of the syrup and spread out
to dry.  I put mine in the oven for awhile on very low.  When they are no
longer sticky and sopping wet, put them in a container with some sugar and
shake.  If the sugar melts, they aren't dry enough.  They should have a nice
coat of sugar granuals on them.
I made a tree out of wire and we use that as a display for the comfits and
dried sugared berries, with some fruit on the tree and lots in the basket
the tree is in.  It looks very attractive on the dessert table.
We have even used the tree for hanging sugarplate on.

Lady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds
House Blackstar
Barony of Bright Hills