SC - Zoete Koek

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 12 08:50:39 PDT 2000

> Unless I did something wrong, what I have in the oven right now looks really
> scary...  To make sure the recipe was copied correctly (and I think I cut &
> pasted it instead of retyping it), this is what I have:

By some miracle I actually remembered to bring the book today.

> 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
> 2 cups flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1 cup milk
>
> Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Slowly add the milk and
> stir to make a dough without lumps. Pour the dough into a greased 8 X 5 X 2
> 3/4 inch loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about one hour, or until
> a knife inserted comes out clean and the loaf is a deep brown. Cool and store.

This recipe is correct from the book.

> And can you offer any words of advice or comfort about your
> experience with the aforementioned recipe?

Well the words of comfort I can give you is that this loaf is supposed to be
extremely dense. And is meant to keep for quite a while. So it sitting there
like a brick is totally accurate. It is a sweet that can keep for a week or more
and keeps the workers fed, happy and healthy.

In fact, the book says that it is better if stored in an airtight container for a

few days before eating.

> Ilaria

I hope this eases your mind some.

Yers,