SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 12 22:35:21 PDT 2000

Cat said:
> I have several recipes for "enchilada" sauce that I'm going to try to see
> which one I like best, but an old friend of mine who once served me home
> made tamales (she used to have a tamale night and make a variety at once)
> served them with red sauce, green sauce and mole...  the chicken with mole
> was to die for, so I'm also looking for a good recipe for mole as well.

I don't think I would use the enchilada sauce. Around here most of the
resturantes do not serve any kind of sauce on/with their tamales.

I have found that a light chili sauce (sometimes sold as "hot dog" chili)
works ok. I usually use the meatier canned chili but that often hides the
tamales. Or I use a nacho cheese sauce. I've also just sprinkled with
grated or sliced cheese and put them in the microwave oven (after heating
them in the stove or microwave) for another 45 seconds or so.

I too, would be interested in seeing some mole' sauces.

> thanks for the hints!  I intend to use corn husks for mine, as I can
> actually taste the difference when served tamales in a restaurant if
> they've been cooked in the husks and I really prefer the extra corn taste.

The only place I've seen paper used was in the cheap canned tamales.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net