SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 14 00:13:02 PDT 2000

Bear replied to my comments:
> > and Lord Stefan replied:
> > > I don't think I would use the enchilada sauce. Around here
> > most of the
> > > resturantes do not serve any kind of sauce on/with their tamales.
> >
> > where's "around here" ;-)
>
> Stefan is in Austin, where, many years ago, I found one of the local
> Pancho's Mexican Buffets serving sauces of satisfactory fire rather than
> their usual bland fare.  Curiously, the place was run by a Hispanic family.

I remember that place. It was ok. The usual chain type tex-mex fare. It closed
down several years ago. I think there is a Rosie's Tamale House there now
in its place. A hometown place that now has several resturants and now
has take-out around Austin.

Austin has probably hundreds of Tex-Mex resturants. I've eaten at only
a small subset of them. There are literally streets where you can find
a different Tex-Mex resturant on each block.

Recently there have been more and more resturants that specialize in
dishes of interior Mexico, Central America and South America.

One thing I do miss is New Mexico type Mexican food. The only place I
know of in Austin that specialized in that closed down some years ago.

> > most of the restaurants that I've been to here in Atlanta have served
> > tamales with a sauce on them, usually either a red sauce, similar to
> > enchilada sauce, a "brown" sauce which I can't identify or a
> > mole.

Atlanta! I'm not sure that's much better than New Jersey. :-)

But then, some of the best Chinese food I've had was in Salt Lake City
Utah. The transcontinental railroad finished near there and there were
apparently a number of chinese laborers who stayed in the area.

> I've found very few places which serve mole.  The common sauces are picante
> or salsa colorado (red), salsa verde (green, usually with green chilies) and
> chili sauce (brown).  Queso (cheese sauce) can usually be requested.

Those are the usual ones. The latest "yuppie" thing though seems to be
offering half-a-dozen or more different hot sauces. Various greens, reds
and browns ranging from mild to fiery hot.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net