SC - Rellenos with beef?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 15 20:06:38 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > Probably highly untraditional for some places, but still good. (And a
> > week later I had stolen the dish and turned it into a tiny hors d'ouvre
> > on a catering gig.)
>
> "a tiny hors d'ouvre"? How can any thing as big as a poblano, and stuffed,
> be considered "tiny"? It still seems pretty big for finger food. Did you
> cut the whole one into little pieces? Is the chipotle puree served on
> top? Or mixed in with the cheese inside?

What I ended up doing, after several different permutations, was to roll
a ball of the cheese filling into a 1-inch wide strip of the roasted,
skinned, seeded poblano. These were able to be gently pressed into a
uniform shape looking a bit like chunk of norimaki sushi, which held
their shape pretty well when chilled a bit. I think I stuck little
cilantro sprigs in each, and sat them on top of a puddle of pureed
chipotles in adobo, which had been beaten up with a little olive oil to
kill some of the heat.

> And I imagine it is post 1600, but what exactly does "hors d'ouvre"
> really mean? Besides tiny and expensive? :-)

Literally, outside of the work. Although hors d'oeuvre can function as
an appetizer, they often (and did, originally, prolly in the early
nineteenth century) are eaten with drinks before a dinner or other meal.
Consequently they show up a lot at cocktail parties, and normally aren't
technically part of the meal, which will have a separate first course.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com