SC - Lucrezia in Marketland - mainly OOP - LONG

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Oct 17 17:06:22 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 17 Oct 00, , that Tina Nevin wrote:

> Anyways, I also got some French verjuice 'Verjus du Perigord', (which is
> delicious, much yummier than the middle eastern stuff i usually use),
> which reads "Ingredients Jus de raisins verts du Perigord. Le Verjus etait
> frequemment consomme au Moyen-Age. Ce Verjus s'utilise pour deglacer un
> foie gras, mijoter un gibier ou sous forme d'aperitif." Could someone
> please tell me what that means?

"Ingredients: Juice of green grapes from Perigord.  Verjuice was
often consumed in the Middle Ages.  This verjuice can be used to
deglaze foi gras, to simmer game meat, or as an aperitif."

> Another nice thing I picked up was some great Spanish white wine vinegar,
> distilled from Chardonnay. It is also delicious, and the Cabernet
> Sauvignon version I tried was even nicer (unfortunately they'd run out, so
> next time). Which led me to wonder whether they made white and red wine
> vinegar in period, as I don't remember ever seeing a receipt specify the
> color of the vinegar. Can anyone?

Nola does, though not in every instance where he calls for vinegar.
Red vinegar only appears once, and the rest of them time when he
specifies, it's white vinegar.  I haven't checked, but I'd guess that
maybe some of the French recipes specify the color of the vinegar.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net