SC - goose fat

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Oct 18 02:35:08 PDT 2000

Stefan wrote:

>Wow. This sounds wonderful. I really liked the duck fat that I've
>gotten when cooking ducks. Is goose fat very similar? It never occurred
>to me that such an item might be available seperately. But then duck
>is not common here and I've never seen goose nor ever eaten any.

Fairly similar, although I´ve never had commercially rendered duck fat for
comparision, but the fat I get from my own duck-cooking seems to have much
the same qualities as goose fat. The taste is slightly different but not so
it matters greatly.

Duck and goose fat is the preferred cooking fat of Southwestern France and
Hungary, for instance. It is great for roasting potatoes and other
vegetables, or for browning meat and poultry (use it by itself or mixed with
some oil). Or try to add a spoonful or two to soups and stews. Or use it in
piecrusts for savoury pies. I´m sure it is loaded with cholesterol and other
things that are bad for you but goose fat, at least, is mostly monosaturated
fat and has a much lower ratio of saturated fat than butter or lard.

Nanna