SC - Kids in the kitchen

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 12:25:54 PDT 2000

And I love the help in the kitchen. Kids are a great
asset. It's a
shame we
often overlook them.

When I have done kitchens at camping events, sometimes
the only reliable help I could count on was the kids.
I go out of my way to try to find things that they can
do that is actually something that needs doing, not
just something to keep them busy. 4-5 year olds can
butter or mayo bread for the sandwiches.(You just have
to make sure the little hands are clean.) They can
peel potatoes and carrots. Older kids can help haul
water, wash dishes, and cook. Kids always seem so
eager to help, I hate to discourage them. They lose
that helping spirit so often , I dont wan to do
anyhting to help squash it. Sometimes (rarely it
seems) when there is nothing to do, I will explain
that I already have enough help, and too much help,
isn't help at all. But to check back with me either
after the meal, if they want to help clean up, or
earlier the next day. It takes patience to work with
kids. ALot of times, you have to show them exactly how
you want things done. But most of the time, they are
eager to please, and quick studies.
 Now that I have a two year old, I hope that someone
(besides his mom) will take the time to teach him to
be useful around the kitchen when the time comes. He's
not quite ready for it yet. But that is my two cents
worth.
Nisha