kids in kitchen, was: SC - Worst feast ever...

Jeffrey Miller eogan at amazon.com
Wed Oct 18 13:33:51 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "deborah minyard" <dminmin at hotmail.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: kids in kitchen, was: SC - Worst feast ever...

> >I've never heard of such a thing. It is my experience that kids are more
> >careful- perhaps because they are more conscious of what they are doing-
> >and that it is absent-minded (or in-a-hurry, or drunk, or worse) adults
> >who have the nasty accidents. When my son sliced his hand a couple of
> >weeks ago, it was because someone else bumped into him, not because he's
> >14.
> >
> >Sounds to me like someone simply doesn't want to take the time to
> >supervise a youngster.

I've got a million other things to do than baby-sit someone elses kids while
I'm trying to cook a meal for 150 of my closest friends.  I honestly have
tried to give things to do to kids under ~16, and with only 1 exception,
they all vanished as soon as their attention span ran out or one of their
friends ran through with smething more exciting to do - roughly 10-15
minutes in either case.

That said, I have had one youngster who not only stuck around, but ended up
being a part of the regular kitchen crew.  yay!

I'd love to have more kids involved when I cook, but it just hasn't worked
out.  I try every time a child asks though, and continue to have an open
mind on the matter.

> Actually the accident was a gas explosion from a problem with the stove
gas
> line.  I think the worry was an insurance issue.  I checked the kingdom
book
> of law and haven't found anything so I wrote the seneshal, will let ya'll
> know what he says.

Hrmm... I'm more worried about handing a knife to a kid and having them cut
themselves and then having the parent drag me and my shire into court. :(

- -j-