SC - rosettes? pizelli?

Serian serian at uswest.net
Wed Oct 18 12:59:31 PDT 2000

I'll jump in with more later, but, Rosettes come in some
really neat shapes, like butterflies.

The history of waffle cookies/wafers is a pet project of
mine because of a long history of a waffle recipe in my
family.  (I know, some of you think this is a backwards way
to get into food research, but that's what sparked my
curiosity in this particular instance).  I haven't read the
information. ....

Here's my Wafer/Pizzelle research so far.  Someone just told
me about a later period source with wafers made with cream.
This would have been entered in A&S except they allowed only
one entry per subcategory. (but my candy took 2nd).

Waffles
Prepared by Lady Serian

I have chosen one of the 4 ways of making wafers outlined in
Le Menagier de Paris.

Waffles [127] are made in four ways. In the first, beat eggs
in a bowl, then salt and wine, and add flour, and moisten
the one with the other, and then put in two irons little by
little, each time using as much batter as a slice of cheese
is wide, and clap between two irons, and cook one side and
then the other; and if the iron does not easily release the
batter, anoint with a little cloth soaked in oil or fat. -
The second way is like the first, but add cheese, that is,
spread the batter as though making a tart or pie, then put
slices of cheese in the middle, and cover the edges (with
batter: JH); thus the cheese stays within the batter and
thus you put it
between two irons. - The third method, is for dropped
waffles, called dropped only because the batter is thinner
like clear soup, made as above;
and throw in with it fine cheese grated; and mix it all
together. - The fourth method is with flour mixed with
water, salt and wine, without eggs or cheese.

Waffles / Wafers have changed through the ages.  Somewhere
along the line, recipes developed that include butter and
almond or anise flavoring rather than wine and cheese.

This is an old (I can trace it back 200 years in my own
family) family recipe for pizzelles or "waffle cookies". I
am making it purely for enjoyment, and in contrast to the
period wafers I prepared for competition.  A number of
ingredients differ.

Ingredients:
Flour
Eggs
Butter
Almond extract or anise oil (or extract)
Sugar