SC - Adaptation from Apicius for jerking meat

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Wed Oct 18 18:00:08 PDT 2000

Seumas commented:

> I tried a preservative solution from Apicius with vinegar, salt,
> mustard, and honey, but proportions are not included, so I have been
> experimenting.

Stefan li Rous replied

> Interesting. Apicius recipe please? Would this be dried/ground mustard
> seed since you already have liquid with the vinegar and the honey? Or
> would this be a mustard sauce?

>From the 1936 Vehling translation of Apicius, Book I, Chapter VII
[Vehling 11]:

"To keep cooked sides of pork or beef or tenderloins place them in a
pickle of mustard, vinegar, salt and honey, covering meat entirely. And
when ready to use, you'll be surprised."

If I recall correctly (Mmm...notes have disappeared) I started with
750ml of red wine vinegar, 250ml of honey, 4 Tablespoons each of ground
mustard and sea salt. This itself tasted mostly of vinegar naturally, so
I doubled the amount of mustard and honey. I might have added more sea
salt, but this used up the last in the kitchen at that time. The sliced
meat marinated in the fridge for a full day, then 24+ hours in a 150 F
oven. Came out very dry (brittle) and slightly tangy of the vinegar. I
would prefer it more spicy/savoury, so later attempts will increase the
mustard and salt again. I might go so far as to make a very thin paste
of mustard and salt using the vinegar and honey. I'm also considering
grinding up the salt with the mustard for an additional dredge of the
meat before packing and marinating. Personally, I would like to try some
with black pepper, perhaps ginger. I like more pungent flavours.

> Please report some of your experimenting when you have time. (And before
> you do something that doesn't work and you get sick. :-)  Or Lainie
> decides your experimenting is too dangerous and stops it. :-) )

Ironically, I got slightly ill the same day I first tried the finished
product, but subsequent samples had no ill effect, so I conclude it was
just coincidence.

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.