SC - goose fat

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Thu Oct 19 03:56:18 PDT 2000

Stefan wrote:

>Those are two widely spaced regions. Is there any particular simularity to
>the cuisine that would make goose fat preferable? Or is it not unique
>to those areas and was at one time used in Germany and areas in between
>as well? Is there any particular reason southwest France and Hungary
>would raise more goose than other places? Or perhaps there is some
>reason that the use of goose fat stands out more in those two regions?

Well, one similarity that springs to mind is that both the French and the
Hungarians are very fond of goose liver, which means the overstuffed geese
yield a LOT of fat. I´m told the ideal conditions for geese are sandy soil
and lots of sun, which would hold true for both the Great Plain of Hungary
and parts of Southwestern France. (And Hungarian goose liver is absolutely
delicious; the sautéed goose liver with apples that I had at the Gundel
restaurant in Budapest last week was one of the best things I´ve ever eaten,
and the true highlight of a wonderful seven-course meal).

These are not the only regions where goose fat is used, though. It is used
to some extent in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, for instance, and in
Romania and some of the Balkan countries.

>Three of the ducks at Motorola kept wandering around the patio area
>as I was eating my lunch today. I kept thinking how one would look
>and taste real good on my dinner table. These were Big ducks, although
>maybe the feathers and all made them look larger. The male had a dark
>green, iridescent head and neck. A Mallard?

Yes, that would have been a mallard. Quite tasty, in fact. It is the most
common duck here and I have lots of recipes, should you need any ...

Nanna