SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2702/Ducks

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Thu Oct 19 14:46:37 PDT 2000

Johann von Metten writes, medieval poultrier, writes:
 Actually, if they have the Mallard coloration, but are really big, like
over 6lbs, chances are they are Rouens, a period breed, derived from the
Mallard, (like all domestic ducks!) but quite heavy! Drakes can weigh in
at 12lbs or better while hens are usually about 10!
 They were first seen as early as the 13th cen. from?....Rouen, France!!
There are other old breeds of ducks, all derived from the Mallard, but
of varying colors from the wild coloration to the Red and Fawn and Buff
to the Black and Blues.
White is a very rare color for ducks and was first seen as a Light Buff,
which gradually was bred lighter. The White duck we see now is a rather
late comer, about the last 200 years or so, after Asian stock was
introduced from India and China.

It is interesting to note that duck eggs were preferred by many cultures
for plain eating, they are more flavorful. Chicken eggs are blander,
thus making better ingredients than duck eggs. Also ducks are seasonal
layers, who while there are breeds who do produce well, still lay only
during the spring and summer.

Ducks were probably the first fowl to be domesticated, then geese.
Lastly came the chicken!
Ducks have been domesticated since at least 8,000 years before Christ,
while chickens, only 5,000 years before the common era.
We see ducks being herded and kept in Egypt in the Old Kingdom, along
with geese. Chickens we do not see until the New Kingdom and later.

Johann

sca-cooks wrote:

> sca-cooks         Thursday, October 19 2000         Volume 01 : Number 2702
>
> Stefan, from the colors that you described, the duck does sound like a
> Mallard.  They also have sort a of a cow lick near their tail feathers, curled feathers.  The females, if there are any, are brown and
white.  Also they have blue and white patch on their wings.  It might be
only visible when they fly.