SC - many digests and German things...

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:25:32 PDT 2000

Greetings the list

And apologies for the prolonged absences, I have been scanning the digests
because I am up to my ears in final countdown for the Baronial A&S feast -
more info here, feedback appreciated as always.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASnovfeast.htm

On to other things I should have replied to sooner:

The Kuchen recipe... I did check Baufeld, and the reference would indeed
translate as a bundle of straw, and I have no clue what purpose that would
have served.  I would love to hear what re-creation you come up with.
Apples in shape: Rumpolt (1581 German) has several fried/roasted apple type
recipes.
#39. take apples/ and hollow them out/ or push the core out with a hollow
iron/ and make with wine a dough/ and cover the apples therein/ toss them in
hot butter/ and bake (remember in German this still can mean fry) them out/
so the dough becomes crisp (or could mean quick - as in fry quickly) (the
word is rech - don't have Baufeld to hand)  / give it warm to the table/ and
sprinkle it with sugar, so it is good and welltasting.

#40. take apples/ hollow them out / and toss them in hot butter/ roast them/
till they are nicely brown/ take them out into a fish kettle/ put anis/
crushed cinnamon and sugar/ thereover/ pour wine thereover/ and let it
therewith make a juice/ that it makes a short broth/ but do not let the
apples overcook/ that you can lift them out whole in a bowl/ sprinkle it with
sugar/ and give it warm/ to the table so it is good and lovely

Hope it is still helpful at this late date.

On a semi related note.. I just spotted a recipe (#37) for "Erdtepffel'"
apples of the earth (related to pomme de terre? Potato? (has it been
discussed here before?
Sorry if Im duplicating:
#37 "Earthapples" peel and cut them nicely small/ soak (or poach) them in
water/ and press them well out through a closewoven cloth/ chop them small
and roast them in bacon that is cut small/ take a little milk thereunder/ and
let it simmer therewith/ so it will be good and welltasting.

Gwen Catrin von Berlin
Opening great cans of worms in a single post