SC - cuskynoles

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Oct 20 23:32:23 PDT 2000

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Isha ArrowHawk wrote:
> > What are cuskynoles?
>
> There are several possible answers, among them are:
>
> 1. A never ending topic, that keeps coming up every now and then on
> this list[1] and cause debates. By now it is kind of a keyword.
>
> 2. A dish mentioned in Diuersa Cibaria (i.e. 14th century, see
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/desserts.html#41). There are more
> than one way to interpret this recipie, with the two main schools having
> primary proponets known as Duke Cariadoc and Master Adamantius,
> respectively.
>
> There is actually a picture in the recipie, but that doesn't help much.
>
> Actually, if anyone saved the full Big Debate I'd like a copy; I missed
> some of the posts, and what I have is on a computer with no network
> connection.
>
> /UlfR

I don't have the full Big Debate, as I think you know, however Isha if
you want a summary of the opinions of the the two factions and the
original recipe it can be found in this file in the FOOD section of
my Florilegium:
cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.

Your comment might be that 44K (about 15 pages) is awlfully big to be a
summary. However, if I had turned the whole thing into a file it would
have been serveral times larger and I doubt you would wish to wade
through the esoteric details and counter-counter-arguments. It was
sometimes difficult for some of us to follow even while it was going
on.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net