SC - OOP - Black Food

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 23 22:38:58 PDT 2000

Christianna wrote:
>Cook some black beans...

Oops, left it off the message. Yeah, i've got a couple cans of spicy
black bean soup.

>You might try
>some blue corn chips to serve with them as well.

Yeah, i was looking at them today in the store, but decided they were
much too pretty a color :-)

>...there is a black quinoa out
>now that cooks up nice and black.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I didn't see any, but i wasn't
really paying attention to the quinoa. I'll go look again.

>There is always caviar,

Whew! A bit beyond my budget and not too nice to the rapidly becoming
endangered sturgeon. Although i guess big dyed fish eggs are
cheaper... not too vegetarian though, but might go with the squid ink
pasta tossed with a bit of beurre noire.

>apple butter(dark brown, I know, but still),

Well, a few years ago, when i was attending one of the San Francisco
Early Music Society's week-long Medieval Music Workshops, i packed my
lunch. I was rather impecunious, having spent so much on the classes
and using my vacation time for it. So i ate whatever i could find in
the house. I had a loaf of dark rye bread, a bottle of minced meat
(sans suet), and some black sesame paste. So i made (almost) black
sandwiches.

>Have fun!

Oh, we do, in our own warped way.

Anahita al-shazhiyya,
a modest, mild-mannered, well-educated Maghribi

Modesty Thorneycrofte
a small "meek" woman with the voice of a duty herald