SC - Buch von guter Speise: new edition with English translation

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Oct 24 18:41:02 PDT 2000

<< I was annoyed when I read those insulting remarks.  Even if she is
correct about the errors, she could have said something more courteous,
such as: "Although these previous translations are flawed, we are
nevertheless indebted to them for introducing this classic text to
countless readers around the world." >> (Lady Brighid)

Lady Brighid, there is no question here about some errors in a
translation now and then. Obviously, every edition and translation will
contain some errors. Yours (to which I am very much looking forward)
will contain some, mine does contain some errors. That is not the
problem and not a reason to be biased.

However, I see that my quote produced some discomfort. I am sorry about
that. I do not want you to feel discomfortable. Thus, I would like to
cancel my previous quote and say:

"The new English translation of the Buch von guter Speise differs
considerably from the one previously published on the web, and I should
like to hear your opinions about the two translations of the Middle High
German text".

Thomas