SC - Apicius Question

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 24 18:20:04 PDT 2000

Flowers and rosenbaum would be the scholarly favorite.  For simple readability and cooking ease for more novice cooks, I like the Giaccosa translation.  It is a balance of scholarly and flowing writing style.  Vehling is deemed a travesty by many (including myself) written by a chef that made many changes for his convenience and personal idom.

niccolo difrancesco
sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<<SNIP . . . I have a question to throw out here - what translation would you consider the
best?  I now know enough Latin to translate the recipes by myself but I still
prefer to check myself occasionally using Flowers and Rosenbaum (1957) as I
find Vehling far too dry (1936) but I have heard others comment on what they
consider better additions.

LLEW