OT: Religion in the SCA and PR opportunities. (was Re: Wiccan Cookbook Reviewed (was Re: SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)))

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 25 20:56:35 PDT 2000

YIS, Elric
> I have been following this thread and usually just sort of luck on thies
> things, but a comment you made got my attention:)
>
> the bit about political suicide by stating your wiccan...
>
> first off I could see it if you said you were a mongol, or even high
> Elizebethian (as a Viking Type person I have a very clear insight on
those
> who are politically unacceptable), but Wiccian, heck down here in
Trimaris
> we have more Wiccians,. pagans, earthmother types etc than we can shake a
> stick at :) Not that we shake sticks at anyone (well some of the fighter
> types do do that but its not a relegion thing, well then again it is...
but
> thats another whole discussion)......

You'll notice I said it has the *reputation* and only in *some areas*.

Yeah, it really surprised me too, (especially since a considerable number
of Pagans *are* drawn to the SCA) and as I said, I'm hoping that it's
overblown rumor... since I haven't played with the folks here in South
Downs I don't know yet (since I just came out on the list I guess we'll
find out, won't we <beg>.)  ... In Glaedenfeld it wasn't a political thing,
it was an individual, personal thing, which is what I expect is actually
the case here as well.  I certainly would never want to jump to conclusions
without even meeting folks.  People are people, and all individuals have
their biases, which is something that everyone has to deal with.  I,
personally, don't really care for people with green teeth <wink.> ... The
only thing that you can do when people have stereotyped preconceptions is
to be yourself and hope that dispells (no pun intended) them.

I did not mention it to disparage anyone or any group, nor to raise a fuss,
simply to point out that *perceptions* apply in many cases.  In this case
perception seems to be key in the criticisms of the book reviewed and since
people were talking about writing some type of rebuttals to that review (or
some sort of critique to the author(s) or publisher(s)) I just wanted to
remind folks that *how* those are written will add to the public perception
of the SCA and to demonstrate how *easily* false perceptions can be
fostered and perpetuated by innocent and unintentional folly.

I have not been treated with anything but extraordinary courtesy by the
members of South Downs.  And, contrary to a few rumors (which, as I say, I
don't generally give credence to without evidence) I don't *reasonably*
expect anything less than courtesy simply because I may have a different
religious path than others (and as you say, that religious path rarely
intersects with SCA activities in any demonstrative way in any case.)  I
should be disappointed to see otherwise.  Yet somehow, some people have
obtained the *perception* that Pagans are not welcome in this group, and
I've heard the same thing said in other groups as well.  There's a good
chance that this *perception* is simply externalized fear on the part of
the perciever, and I brought it up not to imply that it does actually
exist, but to illustrate the point that perceptions can be created even if
there *is* no intention to do so.  And the reason that I did so is be\ause
I would hate for folks to get a false impression based on poor
communication in regards to criticisms surrounding this book, and since I
felt that some of the posts on this thread did create such of an
impression, I wanted to point out that this isn't the *public* impression
that I, as a participant, would like to see fostered :-)

> The only thing I have noticed a great deal is that after being invited to
> attend a number of Wiccian/pagan get to gethers to drum for them.  I have
> noticed one thing as a follower of Odin and the true Gods a very large
> number of the folks who claim these relegious/phylosphicial views are
full
> of BS :) It seems that they read one book, listen to one conversation and
> their Pagan,Wiccian etc, , they mostly get together for excuse to run
around
> in woods skyclad and play at sex :) ...

sort of like the folks who hear about the SCA and show up wanting to
research period Klingon swords or the guy who shows up to his first event
in a t-tunic and jeans with a crown on his head calling himself "King
Arthur", huh ;-) ?

yes, can't deny that there are all types out there and of course Paganism
is no exception :-)  and this simply goes to the entire discussion about PR
and perceptions, doesn't it?  Many of those folks may be "true seekers",
striving to find a path which enriches their life spiritually, but the
perception that they present is that they are not.

Often things are not what they seem on the surface, but if we are going to
present ourselves to the public by writing letters for publication, taking
part in demonstrations, participating as "extras" on TV shows or speaking
to the news crew who stops by fighter practice, then we want to use good PR
principles and present the *best* side of the SCA, don't we.  We want to
*promote* the good things about the group and the way in which we meet the
purpose of our organization rather than allowing people who do not
accurately represent the purpose of the group to stand as our PR proxies.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier