SC - When planning a feast ....

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 25 22:09:55 PDT 2000

Lady Constance de la Rose asked:
> I will be directing my first feast in the near future.  It is in the planning
> stages now.
>
> From all of your experiences, what would be some definite do's and don'ts
> which you would follow and suggest to others for the planning stages, the
> creation stages, the presentation stages, and the post-mortem (as it were)?

Such questions as yours are precisely one of the reasons that I have been
grabbing some of the suggestions and comments about being a headcook as
they come up here on this list. Take a look at these files in the FEASTS
section:
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                       butcher.
headcooks-msg    (130K)  8/24/00    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
feast-menus-msg   (44K)  4/11/00    Feast menus from various SCA feasts.
feast-serving-msg (78K)  1/10/00    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
fst-disasters-msg (50K)  8/ 2/00    Tales of SCA feasts that were disasters.
fst-entertain-msg  (5K) 10/25/00    Entertainment at period and SCA feasts.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                      by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.
p-menus-msg       (31K)  8/24/00    Examples of medieval feast menus.
Run-a-Feast-art   (14K) 11/ 2/98    "About Running a Feast" by Minna Gantz.

You didn't mention what type of feast this might be. the following are
for some of the less-traditional SCA type feasts:
pot-luck-fsts-msg (14K)  1/10/00    Handling 'pot luck' feasts in the SCA.
prim-sit-fsts-msg  (7K)  9/11/00    Preparing feasts at primative sites

I hope this helps get you started.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net