SC - Notes re Quinces in Paste

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 25 21:58:04 PDT 2000

- --============_-1239581978==_ma============

At 9:46 PM -0400 10/25/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>david friedman wrote:
>>
>>  Do we know that it was round?
>
>Assuming the recipe is any guide, yes. It says something like, make
>fayre round coffins.

"Take and make nice round piecrusts of good pastry"

Chiquart's version says:

"And then let him go to the pastry-cooks and order from them the
little crusts of the said pastries to put into each of the said
little crusts three quinces or four or more."

Also, Chiquart boils his quinces first.

>  > Maybe the bottom crust is shaped to the quinces, not to the coffin?
>>  So you essentially have two cooked quinces wrapped in pastry sitting
>>  in the coffin?
>
>Could Your Grace be confusing a coffin with a trap, by any chance?

Indeed I was.

>  By the way, other than the fact
>that what I got was probably grown in New York State, I have no idea of
>what the variety was. Mine were pretty big, maybe 5-6 inches in
>equatorial diameter, close to seven inches along the stem axis. Does
>that jibe with what you're growing?

It's night time, so I'm not running out to measure them; I think ours
are a little smaller than that. But yours sound like what we have
bought and used in the past.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/
- --============_-1239581978==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: SC - Notes re Quinces in
> Do we know that it was round?<br>
Assuming the recipe is any guide, yes. It says something like,
make<br>
fayre round coffins.</blockquote>
pastry"</div>
pastry-cooks and order from them the little crusts of the said
pastries to put into each of the said little crusts three quinces or
four or more."</font></div>
the quinces, not to the coffin?<br>
> So you essentially have two cooked quinces wrapped in pastry
sitting<br>
> in the coffin?<br>
with a trap, by any chance?</blockquote>
fact</blockquote>
New York State, I have no idea of<br>
what the variety was. Mine were pretty big, maybe 5-6 inches in<br>
equatorial diameter, close to seven inches along the stem axis.
Does</blockquote>
growing?</blockquote>
ours are a little smaller than that. But yours sound like what we
have bought and used in the past.</div>

David/Cariadoc<br>
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/</div>