SC - Ruzzige cakes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 26 05:29:15 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Thomas quotes (I think the new translation just recently mentioned):
> > "A good stuffing.
> > If you want to prepare a good dish, chop the same amount of parsley and
> > sage, and fry it in butter. Beat raw eggs and mix that, and grate cheese
> > and bread, and add it. Make a pancake, add melted butter, and put it on
> > the fire. Cover the top with coal, too, and bake it. These are sooty
> > cakes." (Adamson, Buoch ... p. 103).
>
> "Cover the top with coal, too, and bake it." Ok, I assume this means
> put live coals and embers on the top of the pot. But then we see:
> "These are sooty cakes". Huh? Why would they be sooty? I hope this
> doesn't mean up coal dust on top of the cakes. Or even the burning
> coals. What did the other translation(s) we were working with say
> for these last two lines? I'm beginning to wonder if this last
> translation *is* any better than the ones she criticizes so harshly.

I dunno, Stefan, haven't you ever had a bit of black stuff on or under
your pizza? I believe the use of the word "sooty" may be an attempt to
translate "ruzzige", which Alia Atlas left untranslated. Now, about this
covering with coal thing, I assume (and I'm not sure how justified that
is) that there is some kind of interposed layer of metal or earthenware,
but if not, then they would be pretty sooty, wouldn't they?

It should be noted that Native Americans have been using certain forms
of ash as a seasoning for milennia...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy