SC - Frumenty (was I am So Ashamed! (long))

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 26 10:59:56 PDT 2000

>  > >Surviving the Middle Ages are dishes such as Frumenty, a bulgur dish
>  > >favored by lords and clerics
>  >
>>  Frumenty is made from wheat, I thought.  But I can certainly be
>  > incompletely informed on the topic.
>  >
>Frumenty is not a bulgur wheat dish.  Bulgur wheat is a cracked wheat which
>has been steamed to pre-cook it so that it will cook quickly.
>
>Bear

Hmmm, i thought that while frumenty can be made from "cracked" wheat,
it could also be made of other "cracked" grains, such as barley.

Also, I think i recall seeing bulghur wheat recommended in some
worked-out frumenty recipes, again i could be misremembering. My
knowledge in this area is limited, so i could also be very wrong.

I was thinking of using broken wheat grains (not sure if they have a
special name), not bulghur, for the Boar Hunt feast, since the barley
pottage last years was so unappetizing. Would this work? I know it
will take a bit longer to cook than bulghur.

Should it be really really mushy creamy soft when it's done? Or
should it be mostly soft but still with a bit of graininess? I know
my personal taste would be towards grainy body, but my reading of
frumenty recipes leads me to believe it should be fairly soft and
"creamy".

Anahita al-shazhiyya