SC - Nobility versus commonor - question

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Oct 27 08:19:58 PDT 2000

>     . . . heads of households? Being head of a household doesn't confer
> bupkiss on the OP, which is where it counts. An AoA or higher is noble, and
> those below are considered gentle.
>
>     Sieggy

If we are discussing SCA rankings here is the way it is considered by the
Office
of the Heralds.

Below AoA: Of gentle birth. Meaning no title or honors but being a distant part

of the nobility.

AoA: Basic gentility. Roughly equivalent to the rank of Knight in British
heraldry.
Not nobility but the gentry. A country squire is an example.

Grant: Upper level gentry. Still not nobility. Similar to a Baronet.

Peer: Roughly equivalent to an English Baron. High gentry.

Baron/ess: Lowest level of Nobility. Non-Royal. Rank depending on what the
kingdom grants with the Barony. For some it's AoA level, some it is a Grant and

landeds are considered to outrank Peerage.

Viscounty, County, Duchy, Crown: Royal Peers. Highest level of nobility.

So you see that there are no real "commoners" in the SCA. Even the lowest thug
has a great-uncle who was Somebody.
Peers may outrank a Baron/ess but they are not nobility.

I hope this helps.

Gunthar