SC - lead vs. salt use

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Oct 27 09:15:05 PDT 2000

    Um, salt increase was a result of lead poisoning? I would think it the
other way around. First, lead pipes were used for plumbing way back to
pre-imperial Rome, which may account for some things . . . Lead was used for
eating ware as well, and period pewter would NOT be considered 'food safe'.
I could see that as more and more chemically reactive salt was added, it
would have leached the leads out into their food, especially from things
like pewter spoons and cauldrons.

    Sieggy