SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Oct 29 19:59:16 PST 2000

>Lar said:
>> They knew about
>> potting and bringing plants indoors for winter months.
>
>I'd like to hear more evidence or information on this. It is my
>impression that greenhouses were a very late period development, late
>16th century and were for things like orange trees. I thought most
>period archecture was rather dark inside since they couldn't make
>large plates of glass and even the small plates were quite expensive.
>
>How could the plants live inside for several months in poor light?
>
>Or was this just a few herbs or ornamental plants that we are speaking
>of here?

Um hangon here.  I will have to check specifics when I get home tonight, but I
have the distinct impression that greenhouses were also a roman thing, using
thin sheets of mica instead of glass.

There were also hothouses, where peat or other combustible materials were burnt
in a basement, where plants in the layer above could be kept warm.  I'm sure I
seen reference of hot and green houses in monastical settings as far back as
the 12th cent.

Drake.