SC - feedback requested

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 29 20:08:56 PST 2000

Hello folks,

Often I mention a few files in the Florilegium that I think might prove
to be useful here. Sometimes in response to direct questions, sometimes
just because I think they might prove useful.

Something happened at our event this past weekend that has me rather
bothered, and I wanted to make it clear that if folks felt I was doing
the same thing here that someone would step forward, hopefully privately,
and tell me so, so I can change things if needed.

At the event I sat down with a "friend" and two folks new to the SCA.
After talking a while with the three of them I pulled out one of my
Florilegium "business cards" and gave to the couple and mentioned
that they might find the newcomers section useful. When I did this
my "friend" mentioned how good a resource the Florilegium was. The
newcomer couple said they had been there but hadn't seen the newcomers
section and we got off to talking about personas and cooking, with
me basically asking what their interests were and making some referances
to various sections or files that I thought they might like.

During this my "friend" had walked away. I found out later from a friend
that she had walked over to some other folks in the barony to find
some folks to go "rescue the newcomers from Stefan". I felt (and feel)
rather betrayed by this. Had she stayed there and changed the subject
or simply said something like "Stefan, that's enough about your files,
lets talk about something else", it wouldn't have hurt so much.

It is possible that the newcomers felt I had entrapped them, but I
didn't see any such signs and I don't think they made any effort to
avoid me during the rest of the day. But it is certainly possible
that I was being a social dufus and blind to the signals.

So, anyway, if I am committing the same social faux pas here, someone
please let me know and I'll cut back or whatever.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net