SC - Cockatrice & the Florilegium

Drake & Meliora meliora at asiaonline.net.au
Mon Oct 30 01:18:43 PST 2000

Stefan,

Congrats !!!!  And about bloody time !!!!

Now we start working on the Peerage recs !

> Drake commented:
> > My wife runs Cockatrice, Lochac's A&S Magazine (PLUG: It's a
> bloody good read!
> > and has a fair amount of foodie content).  I'm personally a
> little sick (for my
> > wife who'll read this later, it's just a little dear...) of
> talking about it
> > but for those with less exposure the amount of discussions by Mel is OK.

Most of my discussions are not plugging the magazine, but rather
asking/nagging/coercing for articles. I don't know if it is an Australian
thing, but people who feel confident enough about their research to teach
are still hesitant about committing themselves to print.  I find the
personal touch is required to get around this shyness which means that Drake
gets kicked off the computer for a couple of night straight a month or so
before each issue is due so I can send out the personal reminders.

And unfortunately there is very little food content in the November Issue -
hint, hint all you Aussies !!!!!

> Folks, this is a wonderful A&S magazine with a wide variety of subjects.

Awww shucks !!!

> About my only complaint, and it is certainly not Drake's or Mel's fault
> is that by the time you add in mailing costs from Australia to the US,
> it gets expensive. However, if you get a chance to read an issue or
> the mailing cost is not a problem for you, I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately with the current exchange rate, it costs me $35.00 Aust to
send a 4 issue (one year) subscription to the US. This is around $18.00 US -
still expensive but Cockatrice is not an official publication, therefore it
is totally self-funding (I carry any shortfalls out of my own pocket) and I
just can't cut any further costs.

> Stefan, who wishes he could afford to read all the neat articles in
> all the A&S magazines around the Known World. Sometimes, in the case
> of annual, sometimes irregular issues, it is difficult to even find
> out about them.

I totally agree.  I really like reading what other Kingdoms and groups are
doing and if anyone knows of an A&S mag that is not listed in Stefan's
Florilegium, please let me know !!!!

> Of course, if folks would send me table of contents listings of these
> A&S issues especially as they come out, and ordering/contact info, I'd
> love to add it to the Florilegium.

Please do - it is the only way some us far-flung people can find out what
other groups are up to !

Meliora (from Lochac/Australia)

Now that my Uni is almost over for another year I can get back to cooking