SC - Malaches (FoC 159)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Mon Oct 30 07:37:12 PST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > Then what is the mele? The note in the end of Curye on Inglyish says
> > "meal", and my dictionary says course ground grain: "the usually
> > coarsely ground and unbolted seeds of a cereal grass or pulse" to quote
> > the online Websters.
>
> Eh heh... I see. I think I was, to some extent, thinking in Middle
> English, and spotted nothing unusual enough for it to enter that part of
> my brain, or something: it went into The Dead Zone. It comes down to
> this: either some kind of meal (possibly the kind of oatmeal groats
> today used in some black puddings) is intended, or else the word is a
> verb. Apparently there is a manuscript variant which uses the word
> medil, which would denote mixing (meddling), but then it also says to do
> them together, so perhaps a verb would be considered redundant. Okay, I
> think I'd use something like oat or barley meal, coarsely crushed.

Oat or barley, coming up. I used the coarse rye flour since rye is used
today for the blood pudding (and I noted that Nanna use it in her
version as well), but oats or barley might have been more common in FoCs
local area.

> came up with the idea of frying them. The question is, whether to eat
> fried malaches with mash and apple sauce, or with eggs?

Lingonberry jam, of course! Anything else is heretical.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
If you're going down in flames, aim for something expensive.