SC - Quince tarts

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 30 08:17:24 PST 2000

Caid listies:  I met a nice little man who was selling quinces at the Burbank
Farmer's Market, Saturday mornings in the city parking lot at Third and Orange
Grove, across from the Police/Fire Station.  It is very near the I-5 so is not
completely inconvenient for our Gyldenholt contingient, is it?  He says he will
have quinces for another three weeks. There were two different breeds;  one
small and relatively smooth, the other larger and more bumply, with frequent
dark spots.  I'll be playing with them and will try to have something edible by
Wednesday, arts night at my house.

I did a lot of work with quinces last Twelfth Night for quince jelly candies,
and they can destroy an apple-peeler faster than you can say boo.  The gadget I
was using was the one where you prong the apple on a triangular fork-ish thing
and cranked it through a peeler, cutter and corer.  Problem is, the fork is cast
as one piece and the tines broke off.  One of my favorite handy guys, Cellach
MacGhallobhair managed to drill out the tine stubs and replace them with
equally-sized nails, which held up like a champ for the rest of the proceedings.

Selene